Friday, April 30, 2010


I figured the best way to learn french through audio was to find a french audio book.

And where's the first person anyone looks when it comes to learning a new language?

Of course, the bookstore.

So I found myself in the foreign language section of my favorite librairies.

And I came across this book in my search: Just Listen and Learn French.

The title, by itself, made it seem so easy. It was an audiobook.

Price was reasonable: $20-$25 (depending on where you find it).

I liked that the creators of this product chose record real French men and women. I was glad because knew I was hearing what real french sounds like. If I were walking down the streets of France, this is what I would hear. So it was very true-to-life.

In terms of quality and ease of use, I would rank this on the lower end. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but the title definitely is tempting.

It was very difficult to understand the voices. So a lot of repeating of lessons was needed, because the voices went so fast and somewhat garbled accents. For a beginner, this would be very tough to get a grasp of the language. I believe this would be a better product, if they had BOTH a rehearsed actor slowly stating the phrases and then a true Parisian or French-Canadian saying the same thing.

It was a CD, so it was Mac compatible.

Because it's an audiobook, clearly there's no customer support available.

Overall, my rating for this french learning program is:
  • Price: 5/5
  • Quality: 3/5
  • Ease of Use / Portability: 3/5
  • Mac compatibility: 5/5
  • Customer Support: 0/5
If you're looking for audio french lessons for beginners then "Just Listen and Learn French," might be the best fit for you. I'm not too keen on it. But to learn more about it, you can check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment