Friday, April 30, 2010

Conversational French Lessons: Why I chose to study french

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't choose French because of some movie star or because I had a crush on someone who spoke French. (But both reasons are good motivation to continue learning french.)

So why did I choose to learn french?

Well there were a few reasons:
  1. I chose french because there were only two options for languages to choose in school: either French or Spanish. I had been exposed to Spanish before in my local neighborhood (and on spanish language television) and I never was really impressed with the way Spanish sounded.
  2. Part of choosing a language is identifying with the culture and the hopes of perhaps visiting that country (or countries.) I have never really had an interest in visiting Spain or Latin America. Who knows? Perhaps one day.
  3. I also chose French because it seemed like a challenge. The silent letters and the strange yet unique accent. Could I do it? Could I adopt the accent and pass for being French?
  4. Also, the French language always sounded so elegant, sophisticated, and delicate. So I felt I could be *another person* and reinvent myself with this new exotic language. Kind of like an international spy. Voulez-vous couchez avec moi? (Well, not quite.)
So there you have it.

What are you reasons for wanting to learn french?


No comments:

Post a Comment